Anthem Lesson Plans: Overview
NOTE: Depending on your instructional goals, you may not use all lessons.
- Pre-reading: 3 lessons
- Reading 1 (Chapter 1): 4 lessons
- Reading 2 (Chapters 2-7): 4 lessons
- Reading 3 (Chapters 8-12): 4 lessons
- Follow-up: 5 lessons
20 Anthem Lessons: Contents
- Introduction Slideshow & Anticipation Guide
- A New Society (thought experiment)
- Speculative Fiction
- Discussion Set #1
- WE Rules!
- Sticker Economics / Share the Wealth
- What is Communism?
- Discussion Set #2
- Who is Equality 7-2521?
- Cold War Cartoon Conflict
- Symbolism Practice
- Discussion Set #3
- Equality’s Evolution (character arc)
- Excerpt Experts: Language Style
- Propaganda Gallery
- “The Allegory of the Cave”
- Hall of Allusions (source material)
- Going Deep: Symbol and Motif
- Structure and Effects
- What’s the Big Idea? (theme development)
Anthem Lesson Plans: File Formats
- Lesson plans: PDF and DOCX (MSWord)
- Handouts: PDF and DOCX (MSWord)
- Slideshows: PDF and PPTX (PowerPoint)
- Answer key: PDF and DOCX (MSWord)
- These Anthem by Ayn Rand lessons are intended for whole-class instruction, but many of the activities are appropriate for small-groups, independent study, or homeschooling.
- All included materials can be edited.
- The Anthem Unit Bundle includes this resource.