These A Raisin in the Sun lesson plans explore symbolism, character motivation, elements of performance, theme development, historical context, and more.
- Pre-reading: 3 lessons
- Act I: 3 Lessons + discussion set
- Act II: 3 Lessons + discussion set
- Act III: 3 Lessons + discussion set
- After reading: 3 lessons
A Raisin in the Sun Lessons:
- Introduction and Anticipation Guide
- The American Dream
- I Have a Dream Deferred
- Drama Read-through: Act I, Scene 1
- A Raisin in the Sun Discussion & Analysis #1
- Setting the Stage with Words
- Talking the Talk (Dialogue and Dialect)
- When It’s NOT an Apple (Symbolism)
- Drama Read-through: Act II, Scene 1
- A Raisin in the Sun Discussion & Analysis #2
- 1950s Chicago, USA (Historical Context)
- Booker T. and W.E.B.
- “It’s Life, Mama!” (Characterization)
- Drama Read-through: Act III
- A Raisin in the Sun Discussion & Analysis #3
- A Symbol in the Sun
- Strong Words Monologue
- Structure and Tension
- Hansberry’s Themes
- To Be Young, Gifted and Black
- Symbol Poems
A Raisin in the Sun Lesson Plans files:
- Lesson Plans (PDF) – Includes discussion sets and excerpts for analysis.
- 20 A Raisin in the Sun handouts (PDFs)
- 2 Presentation files (PPTX)
- These A Raisin in the Sun lessons are intended for whole-class instruction, but many activities are appropriate for small-group or individual instruction.
- This resource is included in the A Raisin in the Sun Complete Unit bundle.